As an artist I seek compelling images capturing presence, in revealing moments, that endure.
There is a single closed loop: what lay before me as seen through my eye, interpreted by my body, mind and spirit with an instinctual response to my right index finger. Click. 1/125 sec. Exposed. Yes, there's a camera, a lens, and many settings unique to each frame. But it's not the camera that's responsible for the image -- it's the photographer.
From my work you'll see that I prefer to work under natural lighting conditions. The reason is simple: I can carry the kit in my back pocket.
- PUBLICATIONS AND ONLINE EXHIBITIONS
- - PhotoPlace Gallery. 'The State of America' competition (2017). 'Couple, Venice, Ca.' Juror: Jim Richardson. Online gallery website exhibition plus publication by Blub Books.
- - ASC Magazine Online 'Dunkirk Discussion with van Hoytema and Sasaki.' Candid portraits from the event at the ASC Clubhouse in Hollywood (Dec., 2017)
- - 3rd Annual Creative Portrait Exhibition 2017: Los Angeles Center of Photography. Gallery and online exhibition (Nov. 10 - Feb. 6, 2018)
- - REVIEW: Santa Fe, Santa Fe, NM. 'American Gothic Revisited: Slab City - The Last Free Place In America' ©. 22 page Zine. Oct. 27-29, 2017.
- - PhotoPlace Gallery. 'Man in the Ladscape' competition (2016). 'Jazzy's Camp. Slab City.' Juror: Brett Erickson. 1 of 35 images selected for gallery exhibition Oct. 5 - 28. Online exhibitin plus publication by Blurb Books.
- - Issue Magazine 03-2016. Full art feature article on 'American Gothic II' Slab City' published June, 2016. 18 page spread, 12 photographs plus an interview by Paula Dean, founder and chief executive of the Los Angeles Center of Photography. Available online at www.issuemagazine.com/american-gothic-ii/#/. Also in magazine form from Issuemagazine.com or amazon.com.
- - PhotoPlace Gallery: 'Stories and Secrets' competition (2015).'Cuervo and his Mule Rock 'an Roll.' Jurors: Kristen Hoving and Emma Stone. Online exhibition and publication, Available from Blurb Books.
- - PhotoPlace Gallery: 'Open Call - Your Greatest Hits' competion (2012). 'Untitled (Recling Nude).' Juror: Neil Harris, Assocate editor, Time Magazine. Online exhibition and publication, Available from Blurb Books.
- - Rivertowns Enterprise. Interview and photograph from RiverArts Studio Tour preview (2011).
- .'Portrait of an Artist: Isamu Noguchi.' VHS cover photograph. (1997)
- - 'Norman Connors - Dark of Light.' Vinyl album cover and liner notes. (1973)
- -'American Gothic Revisited: Slab City - The Last Free Place In America' © (2014-2017)
- -'Gallery of Students and Teachers' (2013).
- -'Our Town - The Village of Hastings-on-Hudson, NY' (2011).
- -'Street Performers - Playing for Free.' (1973-ongoing).
- - Juanita Lowe Salazar Gallery, Imperial Valley College, CA. (projected dates: Mar. 29 - Apr. 25, 2018)
- - 'Reflections,' Group Exhibition, Paulaner on Bowery, Soho, New York Ciyu (Dec. 13, 2017 - Jan. 8, 2018)
- - 3rd Annual Creative Portrait Exhibition, Los Angeles Center of Photography. Curated by Ann J. Jastrab. Gallery and online exhibition (Nov, 10 - Dec. 8, 2017)
- - 'NYC Community,' Group Exhibition, Paulaner on Bowery, Soho, New York City (Nov. 1 - Dec. 15, 2017)
- - 6th Annual Imperial Valley Film Festival and Artist Showcase, Movies at Imperial, Imperial, CA (Oct. 13 - 14, 2017)
- - VISIONS, Anima Mundi, Palazzo Ca' Zanardi. 57th Venice Art Biennale (Sept. 14 - Nov. 26, 2107). Invitation declined, given inadaquite lead time
- - 'Man in the Landscape' PhotoPlace Gallery, Middlebury, Vt (2016)
- - 'The Portrait Exhibition' Howland Cultural Center, Beacon, NY. (2016)
- - 'Month of Photography LA (MoPLA). Lucie Foundation. 'Analog Portrait Project,' Aesthesia Studios, LA. (2016)
- - 'Imperial Valley Film and Artist Showcase,' guest artist. Barbara Worth Convention Center and Country Club, Holtville, Ca. (2015)
- - 'First IVF Photo Exhibition.' UpSpace, Imperial, Ca. (2015)
- - 'Photography Takes Over - 2015.' Upstream Gallery. Hastings-on-Hudson, NY. (2015).
- - 'From the Center.' Calumet Photographics, NYC (2014)
- - 'New Portraits' - The Station Cafe, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY (2014)
- - 'RiverArts Studio Tour,' Sponsored by ArtsWestchester, and the NY State Council for the Arts. Hastings-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Ardsley (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014).
- - 'Gallery of Students and Teachers.' WCC Center for the Arts. County Center, White Plains, NY. (2013)
- - 'Our Town - The Village of Hastings-on-Hudson, NY' Village Hall, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY (2010-2011)
American Society of Cinematographers (ASC), Associate Member (2001-present)
Prime-Time Emmy Award: for contributions to the award winning program - music-dance - The New York City Opera 'La Boheme,' Live From Lincoln Center (PBS)
-'Cinematographers Day 2000.' International Palm Springs Film Festival, Palm Springs, CA. Gathering of world renown directors of photography. Screenings, panel discussions, interviews and a lively breakfast discourse on the role of the DoP as auteur. Guests included: Conrad Hall, Vilmos Zsigmond, Owen Roizman, John Toll, David Bailey, Dean Cundy, Luciano Tovoli, Subrata Mitra, Anthony Dodd Mantle, Alar Kivilo, Pierre Lhomme; producer/director Irvin Kershner; fine art photographers Paul Caponigro, Michael Kenna (others). Monte Rowan, producer.
-'Portrait of an Artist: Isamu Noguchi'. Bruce Bassett, director. 2nd camera, audio, still photography. The renown sculptor narrates his life story giving new insight into the evocutive fusion of American and Japanese culture that characterizes much of his work.
-'Street Scenes 1970' directed by Martin Scorsese. With Harvey Keitel, Verna Bloom, Jay Cocks, William Kunsler. Premiered at the New York Film Festival (1971). In the Spring of 1970, nationwide protests against the war in Vietnam focused on the Wall Street area of New York and, ultimately, a major anti-war demonstration in Washington, DC. A group of NYU fim students documented the demonstrations as they happened in both cities. Later in New York as massive amount of black and white and color 16mm footage was edited into into this important record of day-by-day events.
-'Miracle on the Waterfront.' Producer, director. 60 minute documentary on a toxic level 2 waste site on the Hastings-on-Hudson waterfront. Interviews with governmntal officials of the United States, New York State, Westchester County and Hastings-on-Hudson, the DEC, Hudson Riverkeeper and Village residents. And a special appearance by Pete Seeger and Sloop Clearwater. (1997)
'The Physiology of the Human Cell - the Sodium-Potassium Pump.' Director, cinematographer, editor. Produced by Gilbert Ling, molecular biologist and cell physiologist, University of Pennsylvannia Hospital (1977)
ASC (American Society of Cinematographers), Associate Member (2001-present). Supporting the finest cinenatographers, newest members and friends of the ASC with services and information and that carry on & enhance the long tradition of 'Loyalty. Progress and Artestry."
PERA (Production Equipment Rental Association, Vice President
- 'Why We Make Films'
- 'Jump Cut to DTV and HDTV'
- 'The 5 Signs of Digital Cinema Acceptance'
- 'When Film and HDTV Collide'
- 'Digital Oscar'
- 'Just Call Ray'
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR
- DIGITAL CINEMA MAGAZINE
- 'Digital Spike'
- 'Digital Lucas'
- 'Digitral Rodrigez'
- BUSINESS OWNER
- - BVR © Broadcast Video Rentals, Ltd. (1980-2010) NYC. 'People and Equipment That Work' © www.bvr.com
- CLIENTS & PROJECTS (partial listings)
- DOCUMENTARY FEATURE FILMS
- -'Bowling for Columbine.' Michael Moore, Director (Academy Award, Best Documentary, Features 2003)
- -'The Original Kings of Comedy.' Spike Lee, Director
- -'My Architect.' Nathaniel Kahn, Director
- -'Pete Seger: The Power of Song.' Jim Brown, Director
- -'A Decade Under the Influence.' Ted Demme and Richard LaGravenese, Directors
- TELEVISION SERIES
- -'Live from Lincoln Center'
- -'American Masters'
- -'American Experience'
- -'Dance in America'
- TELEVISION SPECIALS
- -MTV 'Rockin' New Years Eve' live from Times Square Y2K
- -Barenbaum on Beethoven,' Great Performances,
- -Martha Stewart Living 'Christmas Special'
- -'The Making of 'The Producers.' PBS
- -'Married in America.' Michael Apted, Director
- -'The Hamptons.' Barbara Kopple, Director
- -'Make 'Em Laugh.' PBS, Billy Crystal, Host
- -'Life in Death Valley,' NOVA
- -'Conversations with the Presidents.' A.C. Lyles, Producer
- -'Salute to Lady Liberty.' George Schlatter
- EPISODIC TV
- -'Americas Most Wanted.' John Walsh, host
- -'Lydia's Kitchen' (Series premier)
- SPECIAL EVENTS
- -'Van Cliburn International Piano Competition' (6th - 8th)
- -'Fashion Week - 7th on 6th' (7 Seasons, Spring/Fall)
- -New York Film Festival
- -Tribeca Film Festival
- -1998 Goodwill Games
- -1996 Summer Olympic Games
- -NBA Draft
- MUSIC VIDEOS & CONCERTS
- -Amy Mann
- -The Rolling Stones
- NYU (New York University School of the Arts, Undergraduate Film and Television): David Oppenheim, Dean. Teachers: Haig Manoogian (Sight and Sound), George Stoney (Documentary Video), Beda Batka (Cinematography), Mardik Martin (Screen Writing). Notable teachers and classmates: Martin Scorsese, Carl Lerner, Oliver Stone, Jonathan Kaplan, Martin Brest and Jimmy Picker.
- ICP (International Center of Photography): Harvey Stein (portrait photography); Susie Cushner (sales & marketing).
- SUNY WCC Center fot the Arts Wesley Bernard (studio lighting), Sean Hemmerle (documentary photography), Janusz Kawa (photoshop), Nicole Tschampel (digital photography, mentored portfolio), Joe Winter (digital arts).
- Fleischer Art Memorial: Frank Gasparro (Sculpture)
- Settlement Music School: Walter Burle Marx (Piano)